VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 10:53:54 -0400
I don't want to get into the whole bashing Ancestry.com discussion but I have to add one of my more startling experiences using their census indexes -- a whole Virginia section where people who put "Prince Edward Co." as their birthplace are listed in the index as being born in Nova Scotia (obviously referring to Prince Edward Island)!  It's been years since I looked at it, so please don't ask me which year's census but given my research focus it was likely Prince Edward or Charlotte Counties.  Hopefully, most people will realize it's incorrect but a newbie who doesn't know anything about Virginia counties might not catch it.  By the by, I did contact Ancestry about it (as I said, years ago) but I don't know if they ever corrected it.

Kathy