VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:50:24 -0500
It's not just First Families, nor personal websites, gedcoms online, the
LDS site, on and on, errors are all over the place including works
published long ago by respected genealogists....

...but without submitting the actual evidence (Will, Marriage Bond, Deed)
whatever, which could prove or disprove a connection, I don't see even a
partial solution, Julia.

Even then there's no guarantee the recipient of this evidence will bother
to correct the misinformation on the site.........for any number of
reasons besides sheer laziness;

like family tradition which laid claim to some [usually royal or at least
famous] ancestor and just taking your word for it rather than great-grams
is unlikely.  Especially if these folks have found some corroboration in
any of the speculation presented as fact in some authoritive-sounding
source like say, Wm. & Mary Quarterly.

For what it's worth, Old Major Philip Clayton of Culpeper had three [3]
children; he states that [3] expressly in his Will [Bk C p245] proved in
Culpeper County Court, 21 Mar 1786.  He names these 3 children  to wit:
Lucy Williams, Samuel Clayton, and Susannah Slaughter.

Notice none of his 3 children is named Elizabeth.

[Elizabeth is his sister who first married Joseph Anderson before she
married Nathaniel Pendleton; she's mentioned in her father Sam Clayton's
Will in 1734 - proved 16 Aug 1735 in Tapp court Essex Co.].

Neither are any of his three [3] children named Philip Clayton.
[Philip is his grandson, Sam's kid.]

Ann is his wife.
Her maiden name was Coleman.

[Their son Sam actually is also married to an Ann Coleman which is a
whole 'nother can of worms.]

Note:  None of these Claytons could possibly descend from John the
botanist who first arrived in Virginia in 1705 with his dad who became
the Atty-Gen., despite the musings in Rev. Slaughter's book.  Rev
Slaughter, btw, who wrote The Book was born in 1808 the son of Capt.
Philip Slaughter who was born in 1758 on the Old Clayton Farm.  I don't
know how old he was when he wrote The Book, but I think his dad was in
his eighties when they were working on whatever the dad recalled.

While it's handy to have elderly relatives eager and willing to pass
along our family myths, it's still a good idea to dig up the actual
records.

love from Cynthia whose beloved Gram often called her "Maxine".