VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 13:50:07 EST
On October 16, Robin Sage Jeffers, wrote the following message (excerpted
from Paul's response which focussed on further research inquiries, see below).
I deleted the original email.

Anyway, here is a separate thought.  Laura was born after the July 1 cutoff
date for the 1880 census, and therefore did not appear there with her parents,
possibly Daniel & R.A. Ball.  Robin says she died, it is said after 4/14/1900.
 If she died of childbed fever she SHOULD have been on the 1900 census.  But
maybe the death came later than April (after July 1 census deadline), or maybe
the census was incorrectly taken.   IF she fell into the cracks between the
1800 and 1900 census records, her absence is explained.

I strongly recommend two additional targetted topics. First, specifically
cemetery records of the county, or either of her parents' families since often
burial's take place at older family cemeteries if they are close.  Second, a
search of local newspapers for obituaries or other accounts.  If I recollect
correctly, Washington and Grayson Co. have good resources.  I recommend you
(Robin) join their rootsweb email lists and any other counties, and see if you can
get some information that way.  On my two Missouri home counties and one
Tennessee one, there are several subscribers with complete cemetery records.
(Sorry, Paul, but if she can contact someone by email, vs. snail mail, I don't see a
whit's difference)

My best, Janet Hunter

Robin's query:
Giles Parents were William Sage born abt. 1875 In Grayson Co. Va.William
Married Laura Ball In Tenn.4-26-1896 Laura Parents were James Ball,Married Matilda
Hewitt , married
      on 2-6-1872,I Bland Co. Va. On the marriage records,Their Parents
signed .  James parents were Daniel and R.A. Ball  and Malecai and Eveline Hewitt..
In 1850 census Surry Co, N,C.
      I found a Daniel and Rachel Ball  Daniel was 21, and Rachel was 17.In
1880 census James and Matilda Ball were living with Matilda Parents in
Washington Co. Glade TownShip.
      But I can not find Laura ball no where.I heard she died of Child Bed
Fever,after giving birth to my Grand father,so it had to be after 4-14-1900.I
have hit a Brick Wall With fin! ding Laura ( Ball ) Sage. If any one could help
me with this family It would Greatly Appreciated. I'm just so Lost.. Thank you
in advanced.