VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2004

From:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:28:00 -0800
Steve and Yvonne wrote:
> The tax lists for our 1799 Personal Property Tax List B has an extra column
> inbetween the date received and the person's name. It's heading in something
> like "No of Ca??ts". Numbers are in this column, starting with #1. No one in
> this list appears to have less than 1 of these, and this column is used to
> categorize the names for each first letter of the surname. On page 14 this
> column is labelled as "No of Studs", and no other page is like this. Page 47
> seems to have the clearest writing.
>
> Does anyone know what this column says? Thanks for helping if you can.

        Sorry to be so slow in finding your query.  I don't see any replies to
it so perhaps I'm not too late to be of help.  The column that you
mention is for "Capts" or "Captains" of the militia districts.    The
numbers correspond a list that preceeded list B.
1. Isaac Goare
2. William Bird
3. John Hup
4. George Rinker