VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2003

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:00:02 -0800
An Albemarle County surveyor's plat book contains a survey of 190 acres
for my ancestor, dated 1775, "on the North side of the Fluvanna river
and on the waters of Buck island Creek."  I understand that "Fluvanna"
was name of the James River during Colonial times (correct?), and I
have found Buck Island Creek on the map.

First, should I read this description as implying that the tract
actually touches the "Fluvanna" River, or might it mean simply
*anywhere* north of that waterway?  And does the reference to the
Fluvanna River imply that the tract was on the south side of Buck
Island Creek, or could it be farther away, on the north side?  Second,
would it be possible for a tract of 190 acres to touch both the James
River and Buck Island Creek?   If so, can anyone tell me approximately
where such a tract would lie?

Thank you!

Scott Simpson