VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2009

From:
Anthony Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:15:16 -0400
Yesterday, to my great surprise and via www.immigrantships.net, to whom I
offer my thanks, I discovered a new fact about an ancester of mine.
CHRISTOPHER CARUS (b 1688 in Halton, Lancashire, England) who was
previously thought to have been killed in the first Jacobite Rising, in fact
survived and was transported to Virginia on the ship 'Elizabeth & Ann'.
Notification of the arrival of this ship was made to the authorities in
Williamsburg on 14 January 1776.  This was a bit of a stunning discovery and
clearly opens up a whole new area of research.

I'm resident in England so unable to conduct research in Virginia personally and
would be very grateful if any member of this forum can give me any
information they may have on Christopher Carus, or indeed any member of the
Carus family, or the ship.  For completeness there was subsequent emigration
of Caruses to Iowa possibly about 1830ish and that is also a bit of a blank
area to me.

With many thanks,
Anthony Carus