VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2001

Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:37:24 EST
Virginia Researchers,

In m continuing search for the ancestors of my Thomas Cooper, who was  first
with his father of same name, Ablbemarle by 1746 , then Bedford then Henry Co
VA until he moved to GA  ca 1791/2...I have located his father I am sure in
Albemarle Co 1746..road orders.  Involving LYNCH and CAFFREy.

I have two questions...(1) Could an individual "settle" on land, ie squat,
for a period of time before he patented land...as they did in the midwest.

(2) This is the same question, but a different way and is more "historical"
in nature...in the 1700s did our ancestors move west (ie from couties within
30 miles of the Chesapeake) and settle on land that they did not seek patents
for until many years  later.

My Best Regards.....Janet (Baugh) Hunter