VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2006

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 14:12:54 -0700
I  picked up on this topic a little late.  It sounds as if many
listers feel they have to directly scan the documents.  It's far
quicker to use a (good) digital camera to photograph the pages and
then download to your computer.  I have a flat bed scanner but, for
genealogy, use it mainly for old photo preservation and
rehabilitation.  Nearly every library will allow non-flash
photography and that's all you need with a decent digital,

I took several hundred pages at the Library of Congress in under a
half hour the summer before last using a hand-held Nikon Coolpix 5700
(which can be specially set for fluorescent or incandescent
lighting).  In order to get squarely over the page, it may be
necessary to place the document on the floor.  Otherwise, you can
operate in the middle of a reading room without really disturbing
anyone.

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA