VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
Jan Hensley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Hensley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 08:09:19 -0400
I found a quote from Samuel Kercheval's "A History of the Valley of
Virginia" about an Indian raid in 1758 in Mill Creek, Virginia (9 miles
south of Woodstock).  At the time of his writing Mill Creek was located in
Shenandoah County, now Page county.  In his account, Kercheval talks about a
MRS. SMITH who was captured and returned three years later with an Indian
son by a "distinguished war chief."  Mr. Smith had a "most bitter aversion
to the young chief" who wound up "enlisting in the army of the revolution
army as a common soldier, and never returned."

Other names involved in the raid included the PAINTERS, JACOB MYERS (who may
be JACOB MOYERS), and JACOB FISHER.  I also know that the attack happened
about 15 miles from POWELL'S FORT - also near KELLER'S FORT.

My great great grandmother (b. 1844) left a written account of her lineage.
Between that and what my grandmother told the family, there is a good
possibility that I am descended from Mrs. Smith's Indian son.

I hope that someone has information on or the names of these Smiths  - or
can point me in the right direction to get more info on this Smith family so
I can track down this mystery.

Thank so much, Jan