VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2012

From:
Janice Friel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2012 18:41:16 -0400
If you go to google book search there are several books you can see.
_http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=Town+of+Newcastle+a+Lost+Town&num=10_

(http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=Town+of+Newcastle+a+Lost+Town&num=10)

Janice

In a message dated 8/7/2012 4:10:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

My  family's immigrant, David Cochran, came from Glasgow, Scotland about
1760,  and was a merchant in Newcastle, dying there at age 52 in 1792. He
married  Lucy Winston (1760-1802) in 1774 and had 3 of 8 children reach
adulthood.  His son, Dr. William Cochran (1779-1853), moved to Nelson Co.,
VA
in 1803  after his mother's death, and then on to KY in 1811. I would like
find  out all I can about the history and the residents of extinct Newcastle
so I  can put together a story on my ancestors' life while living there at
such a  key historical time and location. About all I know is where
Newcastle
was  located on the Pamunkey river, that it was a shipping port at the time,
and  the VA historical marker on US 360 about Patrick Henry's "Call to
Arms".
I  have also seen mention of a book "Town of Newcastle a Lost Town",
publisher  and date unknown. As I live in OH and cannot travel to VA, I
would
appreciate suggestions as to where and how I could acquire  information.
Thanks very much.

Winston Cochrane
Maineville,  OH

To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the  instructions
at