VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:07:48 -0600

Website: Hatcher Families Resource Center  http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher

List Admin: Hatcher email list

Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman

HATCHER DNA Project  http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm

"Genealogy Without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Paul wrote:

***If the entry used the word "heir" it is likely that he died intestate.  If so, then the "Statute of Descent and Distribution" would be followed and his father would be his only "heir".  Had the father already been dead, then and only then would his siblings stand to inherit anything.  If there was a will, the Statute did not come into play and the property would descend as the will provided declared."

What I have is the Military Warrant consisting of several documents requesting a survey, the selling of the land from John Hatcher, heir at law, to John Marshall, a plat map, etc.. Those pages that contain the words Warrant No: 1613 also contain the words "The Heirs of David Hatcher, dec'd, private, 640 Acres". I believe this is a generic use of "heirs" since the military was not likely concerned with the number of heirs.

Since David was 16 when he entered service and died in the war just 3 mos later, it is quite unlikely he made a will. And there have been found no documents to indicate that John had purchased any shares of other heirs and was now the sole owner of the land.

Going by Paul's explanation of the law, it would appear likely that John was David's father. Although I can't assume this is proof positive, it's an assumption I must work with in trying to put this family together.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had our ancestors' Bible pages falling from the sky?? :-)

And I would also assume that $5500 wouldn't be a bad price for 640A.

Thanks!

Nel