VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2013

From:
Carolyn H Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2013 19:40:57 -0400
It is impossible for us to see how the settlers struggled to maintain
themselves, but we need to keep several things in the forefront of our
imaginings...

The colonists chose an island far enough from the broad mouth of the
James River to be able to see and, to some extent, oppose any Spanish
ships sailing in their direction. The Spanish were the biggest threat
they perceived initially.

The colonists who arrivedaboard the Discovery, the Susan Constant, and
the Godspeed were more interested in finding the gold that laid in heaps
on the ground, than in actual work, and thus the colony used up most of
its remaining onboard supplies feeding a bunch of ne'er-do-wells who
produced nothing. It took Captain John Smith's orders that "those who do
not work shall not eat" (paraphrased) to get through to everyone that
they, too, had to provide for themselves if the they were to survive.

The Indians had (I think I'm remembering correctly) fear of the white
Spaniards, having heard horror stories from Indians further south, and
were cautious about these other whites, too. Why would/should they aid
the English in their stupidity?

The Indians were not hoarding excess amounts of food, but if careful
were able to feed themselves each year through the winter. Each Indian
family saved some of their corn by wrapping and burying it until spring,
when they used it to plant new crops. When the English found these
caches of seed corn, they devoured it, leaving the Indian families with
no future crops. We are not talking about farming as we know it, but
about unplowed ground that was not as rich and productive as any we now
know.

When their supplies failed to arrive, they boiled their shoes, their
belts, anything to have something to put in their stomachs. We have no
idea what they suffered. And when Lord de la Warr and the relief ships
finally arrived, they brought 500 more mouths to feed and insufficient
supplies to sustain even them!

Don't look at those beleaguered few (60) as if they were just like the
people you know. They weren't. We really can't imagine...