VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2011

From:
Janice Friel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:15:32 -0400
Thanks Bonnie. I think it may also been Essex county at one time. I do know
 that he had children, which I have two names.

Talk about looking everywhere, well I was looking in wills in Orange
county, because Roger Bell, Jr. I found there living and raising  a  family. I
came across a will for an Edward Simth and I saw the name Mary  Bell.
Fireworks went off in my head and I said just maybe!!! Well, there it was  "land
which was left to her by her father Roger Bell and which I sold to William
Cleaton. Witnesses, Roger and John Bell." The will was in 1756.

That told me the Roger Bell sr. had a daughter named Mary and he had left
her land. The abstract of the will of Edward Smith mentions a possible
argument  over who gets the land given by Roger Bell dec'd to his daughter Mary.
So Edward  Smith m. Mary Bell, dau.of Roger Bell, Sr.. I suspect Roger Bell,
Sr. never  lived in Orange Co., Va. and his will was probated in King &
Queen Co., Va.  He probably died years before Smith's will was written.Smith's
will says "land  given his daughter Mary". That suggests to me that Mary
wasn't married yet when  her father wrote the will.

So far I know Roger Bell had Roger and Mary. Would there be titheables in
the early of mid 1700s for New Kent or K & Q cos?

Janice