VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Patricia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:39:23 -0600
Hi everyone. I think I'm the newby on the block still. I've been doing
family research since 1976, but still learning. I'm just barely getting into
the Welsh ancestry...Joneses to be more specific. I just have a general
question. From those of you who have worked with Welsh patronomic surnames,
how many of them have kept their father's surname? I mean, does the son of a
man named Thomas Jones also usually retain the Jones name as his own
surname? From what I've read, it is more common to use Thomas as a
surname...almost like the Danish.
I have been given five generations of the use of Jones as their surname. I
think it may be incorrect.
Any opinions?

Pat in Montana