VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2004

From:
Allen Sales <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Sales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:21:32 -0500
I have my great granfather's algebra book and the inside cover is inscribed
with his name,"Stephen Watts", "March 5, 1843", and "New Glasgow Academy".
It is a nice leather bound abridged translation of Bourdon's "Treatise on
Algebra". He was eighteen in 1843 and the text appears to be College
Alegbra. In fact it's content and depth are almost identical to my UVA
textbook of the fifties, lacking only a section on permutations and
combinations. He lived in Amherst County and I always assumed it was a
nearby prep school. Looking at the 1850 census I find he was a farmer so he
must have quit if this was indeed a prep or college text. It is also
possible that it was merely a high school text, but it's depth makes me
curious.

My question is do any of you know the location and intent of the New
Glasgow Academy?

Thank you,

Allen Sales