VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2000

Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:09:35 EDT
Am searching for information on the STANLEY surname. From "Jackson County, WV
Marriages 1831-1879," transcribed by Wes Cochran, come the following marriage
info:

James Ables married Ruth Standley 31 May 1846
Ruth Ables married J. S. (John Stuart) Hoffman (Huffman)17 Jan. 1850

I believe that Ruth STANLEY & Ruth ABLES are the same person & that her
marriage to HUFFMAN was her 2nd. As evidence, I offer the death certificate
of J. S. HUFFMAN's son, Frederick L. HUFFMAN. It says that his mother's
maiden name was Ruth STANLEY.

According to the annotated 1850 Census for Jackson County, Ruth STANLEY ABLES
HUFFMAN was born in Mason County, VA.

Another household in 1850 Jackson County is:

255-259
Sarah ROWLEY    49
William         19
Calvin          12

Annotation says that Sarah ROWLEY's maiden name was STANLEY & that she was
born in Mason County, VA. It also says that Sarah STANLEY married James
ROWLEY on 1 December 1833. That fact is verified in Wes Cochran's Jackson
County marriage book.

Next door to Sarah (Stanley) ROWLEY is the following residence:

254-258
James BARNHEART 20
Anna                        15

According to same Jackson County marriage records transcribed by Wes Cochran,
James Barnhart married Anna  ROWLEY on 4 April 1850. I believe that the
household of James & Anna "BARNHEART" is one that contains the daughter &
son-in-law of Sarah (STANLEY) ROWLEY.

In the 1850 Jackson County house of Sarah ROWLEY & family we find the names
of Sarah, William & Calvin. The husband of Sarah & the father of the children
was James. He was not living with them at the time -- probably deceased.

I now offer the 1870 Jackson County Census records as circumstantial
evidence. 1st the John S. HUFFMAN household:

John S. HUFFMAN 48
Ruth A.                 45
Sarah M.                19
William F.          17
Frederick L         16
Nancy Jane          14
James W.                10
Docia A.                8
John C(alvin)           5
Derby   E.              3
Coonrod C.          4/12

Then the James BARNHART household:

James BARNHART      41
Annie                       37
Rachel A.                   18
William L.              16
Ruth A.                 14
James H.                    12
Calvin P.                   10
Harman H.               8
Phoebe A.               6
Mary K.                 4
John S.                 2
Virginia R.             1/24

Just like the Sarah (STANLEY) ROWLEY household in 1850 Jackson County, the
John S. HUFFMAN house in 1870 Jackson County contains the names of Sarah,
William, James & Calvin. The James BARNHART house in 1870 contains the names
William, James & Calvin. (Only Sarah is missing.)

I believe that Ruth STANLEY ABLES HUFFMAN & Sarah STANLEY ROWLEY are related.
We know that they were both born in Mason County, VA. As I mentioned before,
I also believe that Sarah STANLEY ROWLEY & Anna ROWLEY BARNHART are mother &
daughter.

Can anyone help me with my STANLEY connection? John S. Huffman & James
Barnhart were my ggg grandfathers.

Thank you in advance for any information or guidance. I look forward to
hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters

http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html.