VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2007

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 13:38:40 -0600
HATCHER website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
HATCHER DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
"If you can't stand the skeletons, stay out of the closet" - Val D Greenwood

Hi all,

Once again I am having some trouble understanding the meaning of a document.

From the Lunenburg Co, VA Vestry Book, 1746-1816 are the following entries:

"Nov 12, 1759: Ordered that Robert Hatcher take Burral Bevil the son of
Margaret Bevil who Obliges himself to Clear the Parish from any further
charge for 1000 lbs Tobacco.....Present, Matthew Mareable, Gent - 1000
"

It is my understanding that Margaret Bevil's husband died sometime prior to
this entry and that she likely rec'd help from the parish. But I have no
clue what the above entry is actually saying.

Then we have:

"At a Vestry held for this Parish the 3rd day of November 1760...To Margret
Bevil to the care of Jeremiah Hatcher....400."

"October 30 1761....To Margrett Bevil to the care of Jeri Hatcher (amount
illegible)"

I "think" I know what the above 2 entries mean but my "thinking" has been
known to go astray at times :-)

Can anyone explain what these three entries mean?

Thanks!
Nel