VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

From:
Pat Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:06:14 -0500

>I've had mixed success in borrowing the tax lists on interlibrary
>loan.  I believe I was told that they were only available on ILL for
>the burned record counties.  I was told I had to go to Richmond to
>see the rest.

Using ILL, I've borrowed those of Prince William Co., a burned
county, and those of Fauquier, emphatically not a burned county, with
no problem. Of course I gave my local library explicit directions
including PoC's.

>I have gotten a lot a valuable information checking multiple
>consecutive years of tax lists.  You can tell when a male child
>turns 16, because there is an extra tithable listed, and sometimes
>the name of the child.  The order in which the names are listed
>gives you some information about the nearest neighbors, ....

In my opinion, county/state tax lists are a major under-utilized
resource. They are an extremely valuable source of info even though
they seldom provide the level of genealogical info some are seeking.
They provide a unique context for other data.
--
Pat Oliver  (Willis P. Oliver)

* Proud to sponsor these Western Kentucky Genealogy Pages:  *
* http://home.hiwaay.net/~woliver/caldwell.html             *
* http://home.hiwaay.net/~woliver/crittenden.html           *
* http://home.hiwaay.net/~woliver/livingston.html           *
* http://home.hiwaay.net/~woliver/lyon.html                 *