VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2003

Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:17:16 EST
My ggg grandfather, John N. Huffman, married Margaret Walker on 7 September
1850 in Botetourt County, VA. According to 1849 Roanoke County, VA chancery
suit records, John N. Huffman was the son of Thomas Huffman & the grandson of
Jacob Huffman. There are 2 known siblings of John N. Huffman -- Lewis R.
Huffman & Caleb Huffman. The 3 brothers were plaintiffs in the chancery case.
Defendants mentioned in the suit, uncles & aunts of John N. Huffman, include
the following:

William Huffman
John Huffman
Margaret Huffman Niday
Mary E. Huffman
Rhoda Huffman
Andrew Huffman
James Damewood & spouse Polly Huffman Damewood
Elizabeth Huffman
William Elmore & spouse Hannah Huffman Elmore
Andrew Elmore & spouse Sophia Huffman Elmore

As a result of the case, the 3 plaintiffs received a plot of land on Craig's
Creek in VA.

27-year-old John N. Huffman is listed in the 1850 Craig County, VA Census. He
is living with 45-year-old Rachel, age appropriate to be his mother. A check
of Marriage records shows that Thomas Huffman married Rachel Hines on 22
August 1822 in Botetourt County, VA.

I have been told that, without documentation, that the Jacob Huffman who was
the grandfather of John N. was a s/o Andrew Huffman. Information found online
tells us that an Andrew Huffman with ties to Botetourt/Craig Counties of VA
died intestate & that a deed lists his heirs as John Huffman, Mary Huffman
Abott, Elizabeth Huffman Elmore & Katherine Huffman Thomas. The land was
purchased by Jacob Huffman. Could Jacob be another heir of Andrew Huffman? I
do not know where or when this deed was filed? Best guess is in the area of
Botetourt, Roanoke or Craig County, VA.

Can someone help me find the ancestry of John N. Huffman? Might this line
have a Germanna connection? Please forgive the bombardment of questions.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters