VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Mike Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:50:23 +0000
The official name is War of the Rebellion.

Mike Peters

From:         Fern <[log in to unmask]>

Sender:       "Research and writing about Virginia genealogy and family history." <[log in to unmask]>

Date:         Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:33:56

To: <[log in to unmask]>

              history." <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: War between the 'STATS'

Other historical terms - But whatever they wanted to call it - A CIVIL WAR - it was not.

War Between the States

The term "War Between the States" was rarely used during the war but became prevalent afterward in the South, as part of an effort to perpetuate its interpretation of the war.

The Confederate government avoided the term "civil war" and referred in official documents to the "War between the Confederate States of America and the United States of America". There are a handful of known references during the war to "the war between the states".  European diplomacy produced a similar formula for avoiding the phrase "civil war". Queen Victoria's proclamation of British neutrality referred to "hostilities ... between the Government of the United States of America and certain States styling themselves the Confederate States of America".

After the war, the memoirs of former Confederate officials and veterans (Joseph E. Johnston, Raphael Semmes, and especially Alexander Stephens) commonly used the term "War Between the States". In 1898, the United Confederate Veterans formally endorsed the name. In the early twentieth century, the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) led a campaign to promote the term "War Between the States" in the media and in public schools. UDC efforts to convince the United States Congress to adopt the term, beginning in 1913, were unsuccessful. Congress has never adopted an official name for the war. The name "War Between the States" is inscribed on the USMC War Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery. This name was personally ordered by Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr., the 20th Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt referred to the Civil War as "the four-year War Between the States".  References to the "War Between the States" appear occasionally in federal and state court documents.

The names "Civil War" and "War Between the States" have been used jointly in some formal contexts. For example, to mark the war's centenary in the 1960s, the state of Georgia created the "Georgia Civil War Centennial Commission Commemorating the War Between the States". In 1994, the U.S. Postal Service issued a series of commemorative stamps entitled "The Civil War / The War Between the States".

War of the Rebellion

During and immediately after the war, U.S. officials and pro-Union writers often referred to Confederates as "Rebels". The earliest histories published in the northern states commonly refer to the Civil War as "the Great Rebellion" or "the War of the Rebellion, as do many war monuments.

The official war records of the United States refer to this war as "The War of the Rebellion", and are a chief source of historical documentation for those interested in Civil War research. They are compiled as a 127-volume collection published by the U.S. War Department under the title The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1880-1901, referred to as the Official Records.

War of Secession

War of Secession is occasionally used by people in the South to refer to the Civil War. In most romance languages, the words used to refer literally translate to "War of Secession" (e.g. "Guerre de Sécession" in French, "Guerra de Secesión" in Spanish). This name is also used in Central and Eastern Europe, i.e. "Sezessionskrieg" is commonly used in Germany, and "Wojna Secesyjna" is exclusively used in Poland (both literally translate as "war of secession").

War for Southern Independence

The "War for Southern Independence" is a name used by many Southerners in reference to the war.  While popular on the Confederate side during the war, the term's popularity fell in the immediate aftermath of the South's failure to gain independence. The term resurfaced in the late 20th century. This terminology aims to parallel usage of the term "American War for Independence." A popular poem published in the early stages of hostilities was "South Carolina". Its prologue referred to the war as the "Third War for Independence" (it named the War of 1812 as the second such war.)  On November 8, 1860, the Charleston Mercury, a contemporary southern newspaper, stated that "The tea has been thrown overboard. The Revolution of 1860 has been initiated."

War for the Union

Some northerners used "The War for the Union", the title of both a December 1861 lecture by the abolitionist leader Wendell Phillips, and a major four-volume history by Allan Nevins published in the middle of the 20th century.

Second American Revolution

In the 1920's historian Charles Beard used the term the "Second American Revolution" to emphasize the changes brought on by the Northern victory. This is still used by the Sons of Confederate Veterans organization, though with the intent to demonstrate the depth of the South's cause.

War of Northern Aggression

The "War of Northern Aggression" has been used by those who maintain that the Union side was the belligerent party in the war.

War of Southern Aggression

The "War of Southern Aggression," conversely, has been used by those who maintain that the South was the belligerent party.