VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Margaret Kerr Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Kerr Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:48:14 -0500
Hi, Bill and the Library of Virginia "group",

I really will appreciate any assistance with my people puzzle!

J. David Thompson (b. abt 1738) was the son of George Thompson (b. abt 1700)
& Catherine Phillips (b. abt 1705).  George & Catherine were married on Feb.
21, 1725 at North Farnham Parish, Richmond, VA.

George was the son of George Thompson (b. abt 1670) & Rebecca Williams (b.
abt 1675) - they were married in 1703.
His grandparents were Walter Thompson (b. abt 1650) & Mary (?).

I have J. David Thompson's siblings as:

William Thompson
Elizabeth Thompson
Winnefret Thompson
Ann Thompson
George Thompson
John Thompson

I know this family was later at Saint Thomas Parish, Culpeper, VA.

J. David Thompson was first married to Anna Dabney and my research shows
they had three children:  Sarah "Sally" Thompson (b. abt 1763 & one of my
g-grandmothers), Frances Thompson (female, b. abt 1764 and John Gaskill
Thompson (b. abt 1767).

J. David Thompson was then married to Elizabeth Brockman and I believe they
had the following 5 children:

Tabitha Thompson
William (The Saddler) Thompson
Elizabeth Thompson
Reuben Thompson
Susanna Thompson

The lineage of Sarah "Sally" Thompson has been an enigma for years to me &
my relatives.  I have worked very hard to find what information I do have.
Sally's husband was Edward Elsey, who served in the Revolutionary War &
fought at the Battle of Yorktown.
Edward was the son of Thomas Elsey of Leigh, Surrey, England  & Ann Finch of
Betchworth, Surrey, England.  They emigrated to America in about 1753 and
lived for some time in Frederick County and Fauqier County, VA. They came to
America with a very young daughter, Mary.

Edward & Sarah "Sally" (Thompson) Elsey lived most of their married life in
what was then Hardy County, Virginia (now WV).  I believe that most of their
children were probably born in that area.  Some of their children were:

Margaret Elsey (b. abt 1790), who married Josiah Roby
Edward M. Elsey (b. abt 1793), who married Rebecca Taylor
George Elsey (b. abt 1794), who married 1st Elizabeth (?) & 2nd Nancy
Gearhart
Thomas Elsey (b. abt. 1795, who married Nancy Ellis
Nicholas Elsey (b. abt 1798), who lived most of his adult life in Preston
County, VA (now WV)
John Hanson Elsey (b. abt 1799-1800)
Thompson Elza/Elsey (b. abt 1806).  Thompson was my next grandfather in this
line.  He married Sarah While, daughter of David White & granddaughter of
Thomas White.  He lived most of his life in Randolph County, VA (now WV).
Note:  There were other children I have not listed here.

Margaret Kerr Beckwith
Elkins, West Virginia