VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Bill Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:30:31 -0500
Mr. Barger,

I appreciate your passion in this matter, but I agree with the others here on the list that it's time to move this topic back to genealogy.

I remain unpersuaded by your evidence, so there's little point in your listing it again and again. I would, however, point out (since this is a genealogy forum) that DNA evidence is useful, though not always definitive, in an age when the written record is often so sketchy, especially for the non-persons of society (slaves, blacks, indentured servants, the poor in general).

In my own case, I have searched for years to connect the dots from my Missouri Chapmans back to VA, and recently found them in Caroline County. But because of the paucity of written records, I'm still unable to move back even a generation from where I was 35 years ago. The president of the Chapman Family Association once told me that there were more "problems" with VA Chapmans than any other region.

Bill Cross