VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2009

From:
Moonlightgems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:15:34 -0400
Hello and sorry in advance for the long winded explanation and
request…  And thank you in advance for any help you can give us!    We
are hoping someone can help us with our mystery…

We are researching the family of William Johnson of Middlesex and
Goochland Counties.  All the evidence we have found so far points to
Henry Johnson of Essex and Lancaster Counties and Elizabeth Mussett
(step daughter to Richard Bond of Essex VA.)  However DNA has proven
NOT to be a match with a proven son of Henry (or any known Johnson
line since before 1500).

However, we are a match with a branch of the Horton family between 8
and 12 generations ago. (Who to their knowledge never had any
connections in Virginia.)   We are trying to figure out if we were on
the wrong track the whole time - and we are a previously unknown line
of Johnsons or if there was an adoption or maternal mishap.

As I said, we thought William must be a son of Henry Johnson and
Elizabeth Mussett but it is all circumstantial evidence.  Here is a
synopsis of our evidence tying us to Henry Johnson:

1)	 William Johnson of Middlesex born about 1700 and his wife Margaret
Pace named their oldest daughter and son Elizabeth and Henry…  The
second oldest son is named William after himself.  Sons were also
named after Margaret’s father and grand-father.

Henry Johnson died in Lancaster County in 1722 the order book states
that Henry's oldest son (indicating there was at least one other son
living at the time of Henry’s death) Sylvanus Johnson qualified as
administrator of his estate along with Elizabeth Johnson and Robert
Newsom.

2)	Robert Newsom is the uncle of Margaret Pace who married  William
Johnson of Middlesex

Lancaster County B 10 page 397 - May 11, 1722
Johnson Heirs bond for administration of Henry Johnson Estate
Eliza Johnson, oldest son Sill Johnson & Robert Neusom of Lancaster
County are bound in the amount of 200 lbs jointly and firmly to
administer the estate of Henry Johnson dec'd.
Signed Eliza' Johnson
Sill Johnson
Rob't Neusom

The Robert Neusom who witnessed the will of Henry Johnson in Lancaster
is the brother to William Johnson’s mother in law, Elizabeth Newsome
Pace.

Wiliam Johnson and Margaret Pace lived in Urbanna but we have not been
able to find a deed to his property there… Our only clue is in
Middlesex Order Book 4, page 252. William Johnson was appointed
surveyor of the Roads in place of William Kidd and the Court then
ordered that the "surveyor of the road leading to Urbanna Town do
cause the way to be made convenient for conveying tobacco from the
Upper Where house to the landing."
This, along with the fact that according to the Pace Society of
America, Margaret's parents John Pace and Elizabeth Newsom lived on
LaGrange Creek in Urbanna would indicate that William & Margaret also
lived in or very near Urbanna.

3)	William Johnson purchased his property in Goochland from Charles
Bond.  IF William Johnson was the son of Henry and Elizabeth, then he
would have purchased this land from his cousin:

A deed from Charles Bond to William Johnson of Middlesex County is
recorded in Goochland DB 2, pages 193 and 194… Charles Bond and wife
Mary to William Johnson of the County of Middlesex two hundred and
fifty acres on the Little Byrd Creek. Witness: James George, Joseph
Pace, Thomas Brackett.

On Goochland County DB 2, page 194 Charles Bond agreed on paper to put
up twice the amount of money than what William Johnson paid for the
land. A bond of this type was not very common during this period and
usually had a neutral third party involved.  Which indicates William
knew and did not trust Charles Bond’s word.

Charles Bond’s wife was Mary Parks from Essex County and Charles Bond
was a nephew of Henry and Elizabeth Mussett Johnson:

1)	Elizabeth Mussett Johnson was the step-daughter to Richard Bond of Essex:

The identity of Henry's wife Elizabeth as stepdaughter to Richard Bond
is found in 1700 Essex County DB 10 PG 63:
Deposition of John Webster Aged 50 yeares or thereabouts saith that
about 14 or 15 years ago Mr. Richard Bond and his twoe sons arrived
att my house ______ They came from Maryland at their request I gave
them entertainment & some time after he sent for his wife and daughter
& accordingly they came & I heard the said Bonds wife say very ofton
that that was her daughter which she had by a former husband whose
name was Mussitt & that her name was Elizabeth Mussitt and I heard her
father in law Mr. Richard Bond & his two sons say the very same and
this Eliza whole sirname was formerly Mussitt is now the Wife of Henry
Johnson & I heard the said Bond & his wife say that when they was in
Maryland they lived upon an island in Patuxusnt River and further
saith not.

When William Johnson of Middlesex died in 1744 he left his estate in
Middlesex to his son Henry and his estate in Goochland to his son
William.  All other properties were to be sold and divided among his
remaining children.  (These children are all listed in the Christ
Church Parrish Register)

At this time, William Johnson Jr and his brother Benjamin Johnson both
settled in Goochland County.  (We have a paper trail for both Benjamin
and William Jr. from Middlesex to Goochland.)   At the same time
William and Benjamin Johnson appear in Goochland, the Newsome, Pace,
and Kidd families all appear.   At this same time, Francis Thurston
also appears in Goochland from Middlesex.

Back in Middlesex, Henry Johnson had been appointed as guardian to
Francis and Elizabeth Thurston, orphans of John Thurston.

DNA proves the most recent common ancestor between branches of our
Johnson family is the son of Benjamin Johnson and the grandson of
William Johnson of Middlesex.  Therefore the anomaly had to have
occurred around 1739 or before. Which agrees with the FTDNA analysis
of how closely we are related to the Horton family of  8-10
generations.  Also, we have not found any Hortons in Goochland at all!

Can anyone help us unravel this mystery?

Thank you so very much,
Val Johnson