VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2012

Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:43:44 -0400
Where did they go?

Judi

"Puzzles of the  Past"
http://puzzlesofthepast.blogspot.com/

In a message dated 8/27/2012 5:48:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I am  working on a theory that my ancestral family may have "sailed" up the
Potomac  and gone overland to the Monongahela River and then down the Ohio.
 This  would have been about 1784-1792.

Can someone tell me (during that time  period):
1.     how far up the Potomac they could have  gotten before having to go
overland?
2.     how far up the  Monongahela they could have put in to the water?
3.   where I might get further information on this?

They owned  next to nothing so a boat could have been small.

Thanks for your  help.

Claude Richards

"Government is not reason. It is not  eloquence. Government is force; like
fire it is a dangerous servant -- and a  fearful master.”

—George Washington

To  subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
at