VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2005

Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:15:21 EDT
Hello to the List

Most of my research in within records prior to 1900 in local court houses and
have wondered for a long time...I have  questions for those in the know...

The local courts  in "olden times" would order that a deed be  recorded which
was that day  proven by one or more of witnesses to the indenture, or by the
person transferring the property as his own act...There are many cases of old
original deeds still in the court houses that were never fully proven...

Question # one....to whom do those old deeds belong?  It was customary for
the owner to pick up the original deed after it was recorded by the clerk, and
often there are notes in the margins that reflect this.

Question # two...does this practice of "proving and ordering the deed to be
recorded" still exist?  If not, What is this process now called and when did it
change?

Seems to me the deed is brought in and the taxes and fees are paid and the
deed is immediately recorded, as I know from experience in working side by side
with title searchers, they often ask the clerk for instruments that have not
yet been recorded, i.e., they just received in the office.

Thanks for professional input.

Alice in Fluvanna