VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 02:35:49 EDT
Dear Kathleen,

Mine is one of the early northern neck families you mention with an "Irish"
name: "Fallin" (frequently spelled "Fallon" in the first generation.   The
family was in Northumberland County prior to 1671 (when a land purchase by
Charles Fallon/Fallin was recorded).

The name has no English or Scots connection, but goes back in the Irish
Annals to approximately 700 as gaelic Ua Fallamhain (anglicized to O'Fallon
and variant spellings) with a very specific provenance in County Roscommon
and Athlone City.

The family was apparently not Catholic by arrival in Virginia, but we have no
clue as to when the conversion happened.   It could have happened in Ireland
about the time Elizabeth I confirmed a grant to one of the O'Fallons.   It
could have happened in the West Indies where the name shows up in Montserrat
(whose population was heavily "Old" Irish in the 1600s), St. Kitts, and
Barbados.   While it is possible that the change took place upon arrival in
Virginia, I rather doubt it, given the earlier possibilities.

In any event, this is at least one early family that confirms your impression
that there were some Irish in early Virginia who were neither Anglo-Irish nor
Scots emigrating via northern Ireland.

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA