VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2006

Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:31:11 EDT
COMPTON INFORMATION...Henry County , Virginia

From Follow the Periwinkle, Vol I,
page 40
North Fork Church off Rt. 619
Compton, Mae... Sept 23, 1891 - July 31, 1968
Compton, Sarah L....Mar 10, 1897 - Sept 21, 1968
Page 65
 Rt. 842 off Rt. 622 off Rt. 750 off Rt. 87
COMPTON
Baby 1932-1933
Dolly Dimple 1923 - 1924
Monroe Charlie - 1897 - 1943
Pattie Mae 1933 - 1934
James Thomas 1925 - 1937
page 88

MARRIAGE BONDS - Henry County, VA
COMPTON, Arthemus and Elizabeth Crowley  30 Mar  1795
Franke Crowley makes affidavit that "parents are  willing".

COMPTON, Ebenezer - Alcey Hopper May 6, 1782

This is all I find in my books here at home.

Jane
A Virginian living in Florida
(My Marshall, Nunn, Stone and Pedigo
families lived in Henry County, VA, also
and some in Leatherwood as well as
Horsepasture.)

I am totally new to this list, so please bare with me while I  learn my
way around. I spent most of my day searching your archives but to no  avail.
I am researching my COMPTON roots in Henry County, Va., but I have hit  a
brickwall.
I am the daughter of Ernest Compton, b: 1917 (Henry  Co.) s/o Cole Smith
Compton, b:1893 (Henry Co.) s/o M.Logan Compton b:1851  (Henry Co.) s/o
James Marshall Compton Sr. b: 1819 (Henry Co.)    Unfortunatly, my trail
ends with James Sr.
What I need is ... The  names of James Parents. Can you suggest where
online I might find this info?  I now live in Iowa and do not have access to
the Henry Co. courthouse  records.
What I do know at this point is James Sr. was a Confederate  Civil War
Veteran. He married Martha Brown Eggleton 05 Jan 1842, in Henry Co.  Va.
He lived in the Leatherwood district and he was the father of 10  children.
I have a copy of his marriage lisence, I have the copy of data from  his
Civil War regiment records (via ancestry.com), but nothing so far  lists
either of his parents. He died at some point after 1910, but I can find  no
obit or death info. He is listed in the US Census from 1850 to 1910.  I've
not been able to find ONLINE any property, wills or family bibles  which
contain the info that I need.
Any help that you can give me  on this would be a great help. I just don't
know where to turn  next.

Thank you
Rose Compton

To subscribe, change options, or  unsubscribe please see the instructions  at