VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:34:36 -0700
"Big Foot" Alexander Wallace was born in Lexington, Virginia... not
Kentucky.  The McDowell, Irvine and Campbell families settled in VA in what
became Rockbridge Co. and were neighbors of my Gilmore family.    This link
may help you:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~evilsizer/vawills.html

VA Wills lists a Wallace, Peter- Rockbridge Co, Filed  9/5/1786; W, Martha;
S, John, Samuel,; D, Jean, Susannah; D, Eliza Gilmore

Elizabeth Wallace (d/o Peter)   m. John (Cunningham) Gilmore  ca. 1764.
They  moved to Fayette (Jessamine) Co.Kentucky... possibly in 1784, which is
the year which they sold their land in Rockbridge Co. Va. No will was found
for John, but names of children from the wills  Elizabeth Wallace Gilmore
and son John.  In his will, John frees his slave, Solomon.  Solomon, as a
young slave, had been left by John Gilmore Sr to John, Jr. and most probably
passed to John  at the death of his father.   (Source:  Joanne Kartak, who
is a Gilmore desc.)

Will Abstracts Book A, Jessamine Co. KY      (Source:  Willie Bea Bradley <
[log in to unmask]> USGenWed-1998)
GILMORE, Elizabeth, Sept. 19, 1804, Dec. 1805.
Son: John.  Daus: Genet
Gilmore, Susannah Gilmore, Elinor McCampbell,
Elizabeth Simpson, Martha
Burton.  Ex: James Wallace (bro.), John Gilmore
(son), Wit: Samuel McDowell,
Abraham Cassel, Rohn Rusk.

Just a start, but these families have been well researched.

--Tom Gilmore