VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 09:02:42 -0600
Lou I couldn't agree more - The internet is like a huge magnet, enticing stupid people to do stupid things.  Facebook and all the other social networks that are readily available is an excellent example.  Many years ago I tried my darnedest to get all the miss-information about various family surnames either changed or taken off Ancestry and the LDS site.  Of more than a couple a dozen emails I sent out to the addresses that were available only one bothered to reply and that knuckle Head just said "Who the H__ cares."  With that kind of mind set there isn't much one can do except to avoid the donated material all together.  I have been following this discussion since it started and as yet I haven't read one person say they have had a totally acceptable experience.  Some were willing to take the information as is so they could check it out - HELLO - wouldn't it be better to do your own research?
At least you would know what information was REALLY questionable.

So much information has been loaded onto the internet in the past few years a person might think he or she can go all the way back to Adam and Eve with no problem at all.  But it is so much more fun to get a little dirty and dusty and visit some musty old Court Houses - Libraries - Historical Societies and tramp through a few cemeteries(don't forget your digital).  You wont find everything sitting on your butt all day in front of your computer.

 Have a good one guys,  Fern
www.bufordfamilies.com