VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2009

From:
Cynthia McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:14:21 -0500
I wonder if anyone on this list is investigating Larkin Foster.  My
grandfather was adopted by his step-father and took his name.  He died in
1938 when my mother was 10.  After 25 years, I have finally nailed down
proof in the form of a marriage license that Burrell T. Foster (b 1856)
married Lizzie Swecker (maiden name through her death certificate) in
Hamblen Co., TN in Dec 1883 and is most likely the father of William Mack
Stoots (Foster).

After the birth of two children, William Mack (b 1893) and Leona (b 1891),
the couple appears to have split.  Burrell returned to VA (Pulaski Co.) with
Leona, and Lizzie went first to Washington Co., TN (E. TN) and then to
Washington Co., VA (specifically Bristol also called the Goodson District)
with William Mack and remarried between 1895-1905.

Per census records, Larkin is the father of Burrell.  I've only been looking
for additional information on Larkin and other descendants of Burrell
(especially information on Leona) for about a month but haven't found more
than that so far.

Any ideas about where to look next?

Cynthia McDaniel