VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
"J. Watkins" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Watkins
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:05:37 -0600
I agree with Paul.  Unless you use Ancestry every day, most of the day, the price is outragious.  I had it for a while but it wasn't cost effective.  You can't beat going to the actual county, the libraries, archives, court houses etc. (I do realize some people are just not able to do that!)  When you are on the scene you get the feel of the place and realize you are walking in the same area where your ancestor lived, worked, married and maybe died.  A good library is the next best thing.  Almost all the online material (unless actual scans) is very suspect and full of errors:  Family search, ancestry, FTM, WFT etc. Great for clues!  As Paul said, not acceptable for lineage societies.

J. Watkins