VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2002

Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:11:57 EST
Hi folks

For those that might be interested, I have been house cleaning and have some
new stuff up.  http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nrv.htm

1st. A file of 308K, Thomson's Mercantile Directory for Maryland for 1851
(link on the main page) -- this finishes the 1851 Thomson Mercantile
Directory, all areas DC, DE, NC, VA and MD.
2nd.  A consolidatation of my links and files for Amherst Co., VA, and a new
link for it on the main page.  This includes historical and genealogical
links and files, as well as other links for other areas of life, such as
agriculture, demographics, government, schools, etc.  It is of course by no
means comprehensive set of links for Amherst, but does represent some sites I
though were important and well done.
3rd,  A set of three articles on John Messer, Galax Industrialist, copied by
Judy Alley, with permission of the Galax Gazette.  On the Grayson Co. Page
4th.  The will of William B. Smith of Ashe Co., NC from Bette Nelson -- On
the Ashe Co. page.
5th.  Miscellaneous funeral home records from the Blevins Funeral Home,
Bristol Virginia from George Thomas and Connie Knipp.  On the Washington Co.,
VA page.
6th.  Various scans of old postcards all over the place.
7th.  History of Orange County, Virginia, by W. W. Scott, 1907 on the Orange
Co., page.  This is a full text and includes the appendicies which include
importations, the 1782 Virginia Census, War of 1812 Soliders, Revolutionary
War Soliders, Civil War Soliders, Will of James Madison, etc.  Folks from
Orange County spread out all over the place.  Nice history of an important
Virginia county.  Thanks to Natalie Hughes for lending me a copy of this book
to scan.
8th.  End of an Era by John Sergeant Wise, on the Books, page, or Accomack
County page.  Its an 805K file.  This book is mainly about the authors Civil
War experiences, life in RIchmond, VMI, etc.
9th.  A list of the School Commissioners for all Virginia Counties (including
what is now West Virginia) for 1846.  This is linked on the main page.  The
site is roughly chronological in order.
10th.  County maps for 1920 for Orange, Pulaski, Henry, Patrick, and Carroll
Counties.  Useful for locating towns or villages that no longer have post
offices.
11th.  A complete reorganization of the Pulaski County page, with about
double the number of links that were there before, now nearly 90.

Warm regards
Jeff Weaver
Arlington, VA
http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nrv.htm