VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:42:35 EDT
I was born in 1930, in New York., right after the 1929  crash.  My father
worked on Wall St., for a brokerage house there.  He  often talked about some of
the men he knew who worked there who jumped off of  high rise roofs when they
realized they'd lost everything.  He managed to  hold onto his job until
another financial crash just before the onset of  WWII.   One thing I remember
most, that keeps reverberating in  my head is an old song, with words like:

        "In the  winter, in the summer, ain't we got fun!
        Summer time is  nearly over,
        Ain't we got  fun!
        Oh, the rich  get rich and the poor get poorer,
        In the mean  time, in between time,
        Ain't we got  fun!!!"

Also, during the Depression era, George Orwell wrote some of  his famous
predictive  books, like "1984" and "Soylent Green" which --  today -- almost seem
to have been scary, but true, predictions of the  future, as it seems to be
developing today. (Water-boarding torture,  secret eavesdropping on telephones,
etc.)

        Phyllis

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.