VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

From:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:29:20 -0600
Hello,

Does anyone know Amy Hendrickson who in 1991 lived in Seattle, WA?
Someone just sent me a copy of a letter she received from Amy regarding
Barsheba (Betsy) Ferguson/ Forguson/Farguson, her 3rd g-grandmother who
married James Allen Gilmore in Knox Co., TN, on 2 Jun 1819.  Barsheba
was born 22 Nov 1794.

In her letter Amy also mentioned the CLOWER/CLOAR family of Albemarle
Co.

My 4th g-grandparents were Catherine "Caty" GILMORE and William
FERGUSON, who married 28 Oct 1793 in Albemarle Co., VA.  Catherine
Gilmore had a sister, Anna GILMORE, who married Jacob CLOAR, and William

Ferguson was the bondsperson for this marriage. William Cloar and
William Farguson were witnesses.  I think William FERGUSON had a brother

named Daniel FERGUSON, as both of these men witnessed marriages of a
couple of the GILMORE sisters.

Catherine GILMORE and William FERGUSON left Albemarle Co., VA and ended
up before 1810 on Walnut Creek in Barren Co., KY.  Their part of Barren
Co. later became Allen Co. William might have gone from Albemarle to
Culpeper Co., VA, because a William Ferguson witnessed this deed:

20 May 1788,   FRANK SPILMAN, THOS: SPILMAN and WM. FARGASON witnessed a

deed from JAMES SPILMAN, (Son of THOMAS SPILMAN) late of King George
Co., to WILLIAM SPILMAN of Culpeper Co., for two feather beds, bedsteads

& furniture, one chest, one woollen wheel, one Flax do, four pewter
plates, one pewter dish and two basons, two iron pots, one iron Baker,
one Cow & heifer yearling marked with a crop & two slits in the right
ear and a crop hole & underkeel in the left; five hogs marked with a
slit in each ear, one Table & five chairs and for value received of him
do warrant and defend the same household furniture stock &c. unto said
SPILMAN his heirs against the lawful claim of any person.  At a court
held for Culpeper Co. January the 19th 1789  this bill of sale from
JAMES SPILMAN (Son of Thomas) to WILLIAM SPILMAN was proved by the oath
of THOMAS SPILMAN one of the witnessess thereto and ordered to be
recorded.

Catherine GILMORE and William FERGUSON's daughter, Frances "Fannie"
FERGUSON, married Thomas SPILMAN, whose father, Thomas Spilman, was a
witness to this above deed.

After William Ferguson died, Catherine married Benjamin BAILEY, a
Baptist minister in the Barren/Allen Co., KY area.  In the 1830 Allen
Co., KY census, page 76a, John Gilmore was living right next door to
Benjamin and Catherine BAILEY.  I have always felt that this John
GILMORE had to be related to Catherine GILMORE FERGUSON BAILEY.

If any of you can help me, please contact me.  I have almost given up on

ever finding these folks.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Warm regards,
Sharon Clark