VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2003

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 06:54:42 -0700
I was startled recently to find myself, my wife, and two of my children
in a gedcom on WorldConnect
(http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/).  Thankfully, the
submitter used "Living" in place of our first names, but this person
had very detailed information, such as my wife's maiden surname, the
fact that my second child is a "Jr.," how many children my parents
have, and the fact that I'm their oldest.  I have never included this
information in my own gedcom.  The kicker is that I've never heard of
the person who submitted this gedcom.  I have sent her an e-mail but
have not yet received a response.

I heard a while back that Ancestry did some sort of promotion to get
people to submit gedcoms to WorldConnect, and to increase the number of
names in the gedcoms.  Could someone WHO HAS FIRST-HAND KNOWLEDGE
please describe that promotion to me?  In particular, I would very much
like to have the URL for any Ancestry or WorldConnect or RootsWeb page
that describes the promotion.

Thank you.

Scott Simpson