VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:32:59 -0500
 C'mon EVERYBODY.  Genealogy is not about public debate; it about civility,
being helpful and having honest on-topic exchanges of ideas .

Far, far beyond Jefferson and whether or not his dalliances resulted in
kids, and even further over and above the "Trail of Tears" and whether or
not that was reprehensible, I can think of dozens of subjects that would
raise the ire of someone on this and on every other list.   There is no end
to matters that are open to honest debate and yet can never, never be
resolved.   It is those that we must keep for our brandy-laced chats with
friends at the fireside or across a cup of tea.

When there are such strong differences, we must ALL bite our tongues and
realize that in most of these goofy differences the truth is somewhere, not
on either side, but rather, somewhere in the center.  Would we all ever
agree about Lincoln's place in history? What disagreement would there be
about the right of the old South to secede?  Was Sherman's March something
he needed to do?  Should we blame our ancestors for slavery?  On and on and
on and on!!!!!!.  Such extended discussions, interesting as those are, do
not belong on this or any other genealogy discussion site.

What's more, there are VERY few people who are true "experts" on anything (I
do not know ANY) !!  And that is true no matter the titles, positions,
degrees, books written or letters that appear after signatures.  Oh indeed,
many of us have long considered and firmly held views, yet we need but
glance up and down the street and someone will appear who has a quite
contrary and often equally cherished view.  At the ages we ALL are, we
should know by now that we have views that likely will not change in
anything short of decades. To suggest that others MUST change their views or
should be persuaded otherwise simply because we think and say so, and have
put together some little bits of evidence for our side of the argument, is -
or should be - beneath every one of us.

So, from here on, if someone disagrees with something you have written, it
is fine for them to so suggest. Still, all of us must suggest differences
with the understanding that our debates should remain private.  To the
extent that you do speak here, let the good manners of the Old South dictate
your words, please, and spare all of us from sarcasm, acid tongue, blunt
contradiction, and innuendo.  This is a most worthwhile list and a fine
group of people, many of whom have substantial knowledge to share. Still
though, no one of us - not ONE - has not in the past committed (and will in
the future commit)  errors of judgment or made  mistakes in research. Thus,
when anyone disagrees with something you have said, switch to private mail
and all will be benefited.

Paul

Genealogy without documentation is nothing.
                     Paul Drake JD
                Genealogist & Author
            <www.DrakesBooks.com>