VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2021

From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 13:33:14 -0400
My 4g grandfather was the scion of a white well-to-do Virginia planter
family.  He effectively married his African American slave, although of
course the law prevented their actual legal marriage.  They lived together
for at least 30 years and had nine children together.  He freed her and all
the children and left the children land, money, and slaves in his will.
Some of the children bought and sold slaves, although one went to Ohio in
search of a non-slave environment.

Needless to say, I'm interested in what this 4g grandfather, and several of
his children, were thiniking.  Didt they feel they had to own slaves as
their only viable source of labor on their land?

Can anyone suggest a book or books that might throw some light on their
attitudes and opinions?  Thank you.

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html