VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

From:
Charlie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:26:17 -0400
Was an indentured servant allowed to get married before
their contract was up?
In this case, my immigrant Samuel WEAVER I, who arrived
in Martins Hundred aboard the Bonny Bess and was in the
1624 muster, was indentured to William HARWOOD [HOWARD??],
with contract until 1628/9. Samuel was born in July 1600 in
Shropshire UK.
In about 1626-7-8, Samuel married Ann JACKSON. We don't
know if she was the widow of John JACKSON who may have been a
victim of starvation or killed in one of the fights, or whether Ann's maiden
name may have been BYGRAVE.
Anyone who has the requested information, or this WEAVER family,
I would love to hear from you. This WEAVER bunch migrated through York,
New Kent, Goochland, Pittsylvania, and Grayson Cos VA, and finally
settled in Ashe Co NC
Charlie Weaver, Winston-Salem, NC
336-765-9635