VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2003

Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:08:45 EDT
In a message dated 9/30/03 9:37:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In a message dated 9/30/03 8:59:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  [log in to unmask] writes:
>  Yes, Virginia...there really is an "US" and a "THEM".
>
>  I find this E-mail to be insulting, inconsiderate & improper!
>

>  Sincerely,
>
>  Mike Peters

The message is more than insulting.  It's ignorant.  It was ignorance and
corporate greed that led men to despoil one of God's greatest gifts to the North
American continent, an area of such natural beauty that it inspired awe from
George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, among others.

I grew up in West By God Virginia but have lived elsewhere in the States and
Europe most of my adult life, chiefly in Virginia.  Still, at the age of 77,
my heart still leaps up at the thought of those hills, beautiful hills, and now
and then I must take a drive into the Eastern Panhandle just to renew the
spirit.