VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

From:
Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 12:26:30 -0400
Does anyone know how to contact Cassandra Burton of
Westmoreland County, Virginia?  I have a note that says she
is a local historian.  I am interesting in contacting her
to see if she can lead me to any information about
descendants of Lee slaves in that area.  I'm at work on a
book about George Washington and his slaves, and I'm trying
to get information about William "Billy" Lee, who was
Washington's servant throughout the Revolution.  William
Lee apparently did not have any children, but I'm
interested in tracing relatives of his in the hope that
some oral history about the family might have survived.
William Lee had been the slave of John and Mary Lee of
Westmoreland, and he was purchased by Washington along with
his brother from Mary when John died.  You can reply to me
directly at [log in to unmask]
Many thanks,

Henry Wiencek
Charlottesville