VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:39:32 -0500
Thanks, Fred.  What you have said is surely true.  To set the record straight since M. N. seems to be the subject of some measure of criticism for her list, she is a fine and thorough researcher (and a blind copy of this is going to her) suggested those names as evidentiary of the use of middle names, she was not offering that list as proof positive of anything about any line.  Rather, she was suggesting that those multiples that appeared in her own records might be illustrative of the practice.

I think the matter may be summed as you have done, and also by saying simply that reliable sources should be sought out for any and all names, be those 2, 3 or 10 in number.  So, the need for accuracy in all things genealogical should include searches concerning all such multiple names, since one may find revealed nicknames, baptismal names, names used or assigned informally to differentiate one person from another, maiden names carried forward by choice to identify or to please an ancestor, middle names given boys to honor their predecessors, or names simply assumed by the "owner" - the person wearing those symbols.

Finally, there are myriad examples, though a small percentage still, that serve to illustrate that the Europeans and Scandinavians often assigned mid names before it was considered fashionable by those who came here.  Paul