VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:36:16 -0600
Ms. Cox, it seems that a document having the precise info we want doesn't
always exist, so you will likely need to intently become a 'map person'
whether you want or not if you are to find answers to your questions.  The
map link from Mr. Smith's response shows the castle location but not many
folks recall or can identify where boundaries of the two original parishes
were located.  And remember these boundaries changed so what was located in
one Parish then may have been located somewhere else at a later time.  There
are also many other excellent map sources showing Bacon's Castle location,
be imaginative.

There are many sources to be explored from a Google search with **Southwark
"Lawne's Creek" Parish Surry County Virginia map** as the search terms:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2006-43,SUNA:en&q=Southwark+%22Lawne%27s+Creek%22+Parish+Surry+County+Virginia+map

One likely good source is the Surry County Historical Society and Museums,
Inc. at the following link from the Google search although this is the only
search-result link that I opened: (Contact them)
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaschsm/LawnCr.html
There are other libraries or organizations within Surry County or Virginia
that have sources to research.

You might add "Bacon's Castle" to the above search or a similar one.  The
Library of Congress' Historic American Buildings Inventory (or something
like that) likely has info as well.  (Or the National Register of Historic
Places)

The Castle was located close to the southeast boundary of Surry County:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=35.473875&lon=-96.383281&mag=6&q1=Bacon%27s%20Castle
Now simply find a map that shows the two parish boundaries, esp the boundary
that separated them, in about 1650+/- when the house was built, at the time
of Bacon's Rebellion in 1676 or for whatever timeframe of your interest --
the location of the house may vary with time (as to name-places.)

I also note that Nathaniel Bacon apparently never lived in the subject
Castle if that is pertinent.

Try calling Bacon's Castle Museum at (757) 357-5976

Info from one of the search results:
"By 1640 James City County's population south of James River was sufficient
to support a new parish, and Lawne's Creek Parish was established. Southwark
Parish was separated from James City Parish in 1647, and Surry County was
separated from James City County five years later. Soon afterward Arthur
Allen built his Jacobean brick house, now known as Bacon's Castle because it
was occupied as a fort or "castle" during Bacon's Rebellion in 1676.

Reports to the Bishop of London by the ministers of Lawne's Creek and
Southwark parishes in the year 1724 were recorded by Bishop Meade. They were
not prosperous parishes. In 1738 Albemarle Parish was created from those
parts of Lawne's Creek and Southwark parishes that lay southwest of
Blackwater River. The remaining parts of Lawne's Creek and Southwark were
united into Southwark Parish. The entire area of Albemarle Parish was
incorporated into Sussex County when it was formed from the southwestern end
of Surry County in 1754."

Hope this helps to further your endeavors although it seems a muddlin pie
without specific definition of timeframe.  Good luck.

Neil McDonald