VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:11:33 -0500
Hi, again, Nancy.  Your question is a GOOD one, and what search methods you use should be of interest to all researcher, especially professionals.

 One must view the market in slaves as a business; nothing more, nothing less.  It was perfectly legal in most of the states south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and those in that business sought buyers and sellers just as we do automobiles, houses and farm implements.

Because if one was to grow his business, advertising both locally and any nearby town of even small numbers having a need for slaves in their tobacco business, you must look in the classified ads of all newspapers within 50-75 miles, especially any larger community in that area.

In addition, since some buyers demanded a bill of sale, it would be wise for you to check under his name in the deeds and "miscellaneous" records in all of the surrounding counties.

Also remember that many buyers traveled many miles up or down major rivers as they sought the best selection, prices and for dealers with reputations as dealers in able-bodies slaves who were not incorrigible or were known to be prone to run away.

The buyers shopped the Blacks exactly as they did their horses, cattle and fine dogs.  Sellers who had a reputation for inferior Blacks tried, as now with used cars, to sell such at the best price and any place where their a reputation for honesty or truthful representation was not known.

Finally, a retail seller bought his stock in  trade - Blacks - from the best and most economical sources known to him to be suppliers of that quality that was wanted.  As now, some bought Cadillacs and others beat up used cars.

There were wholesalers in virtually all seaports, and again, since some buyers, including dealers as was your man, you need to search for ads in the seaports closest to where your man lived. Selma was mid-state and on a navigable stream, but was not viewed as a seaport, so you need to look at ads for  sales and for ships docking at such as Mobile and New Orleans.  You likely will find slaves for sale or at auction and on the docks as the ships sought to unload.

Again, it was a business, and what we think of it has no relevance whatever to genealogists/researchers.  As a business, the better and more astute merchants/dealers in Blacks, succeeded, and those who were not, failed.  I hope this helps.

Paul