VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:09:16 -0500
Hi, Gloria.  I have read this proposition a number of times before, always doubted that this rule applied to matters of transfers of land, estates, and bonds, and I surely would appreciate a source for your statement that in the 18th-Century minors could execute such instruments as were here discussed.  They surely could be witnesses in all matter of court proceedings and such as processioning.

However, I do not see how a court could have permitted such legal actions in light of the ages-old law that prescribed that a minor could, at HIS choice, disavow all manners of contracts, land transfers, or the witnessing of wills or such as this bond.   That said, I would be pleased to correct my views as to the 18th and 19th Centuries, if you would supply us with the sources for your comments.  Thanks.  Paul