VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2004

From:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:26:28 -0400
To list

I have an issue with my grandfather that is disturbing to me and I would
appreciate your thoughts.

I have come across a probate allegedly signed by my grandfather (Joel
Peyton McKinney) in 1944.  However, the signature reads Joel Charles
McKinney.

My grandfather left my grandmother around 1925 or 1926 (after several
separations), and he is known to have at least one mistress and 3
illegitimate children with her.  There were bank foreclosures and debts
that apparently went unresolved, so the question of his character is
fairly obvious.

I feel certain that this Joel "Charles" McKinney is my grandfather (also
since Charles is a predominant name in the family history (including his
father and deceased brother).  Other "aka's" used by him were "Joseph
Pate", "J.P.", and "Joe".   His birth record reads Joel P. McKinney (1884),
his Social Security application in 1936 reads Joel Peyton McKinney, but
his death certificate reads "Joseph Pate McKinney" (Social Security # is a
match).

The probate mentioned above leaves a small sum of money to Joel from his
deceased uncle, and the connection is important in documenting my line
back several generations.  It just nags at me in that I want to be certain
that this recent connection has not led me to 3 years of research into the
wrong line.

Any thoughts ?????

Thanks,

Marie