VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2002

Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 14:32:31 EST
Hi folks

I apologize for the duplications.  If you might be interested I would invite
you to visit New RIver Notes http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nrv.htm for the
following new things online.  Something to do on a snowy Sunday afternoon.
:-)  (Least it is here in my neighborhood).

1st.  First Exploration of the Trans-Alleghany Region by the Virginians
(1650-1675) by Clarence Alverod and Lee Bidgood, 1912.  Link on the main
page, under 16th & 17th centuries.  This is an account of the exploration of
Abraham Wood, et. al., first explorations of the New River Valley and
Southwest Virginia, western North Carolina, East Tennessee, etc. by the
English.   This is courtesy of Natalie Hughes of Bookhouse in Arlington who
loaned me the original book to scan.  Fascinating account, at least to me,
and of superior scholarship than is usually seen in publications of the era.

2nd.  The Planting of Presbyterianism on the Northern Neck of VIrginia by
James Grant, D.D., 1904.  This is linked from the Books page, or the Loudoun,
Frederick, Fairfax, Alexandria, Warren or Lancaster County pages.  This is an
account of the Presbyterian Churches in Northern Virginia established prior
to 1794 when the Winchester Presbytery was formed.  This one is courtesy of
Natalie Hughes who loaned me the original book to scan.

3rd.  Industrial Survey of Carroll County, Virginia, by R. L. Humbert, et.
al., 1929.  THis is found on the books or Carroll County pages.  Sorta dry,
but adds some context to Southwest Virginia immediately prior to the Great
Depression.

4th.  A 1934 Article on crime and criminal activity in Alleghany County, NC..
 This article was contributed by New RIver List member Jason Duncan out of
the blue and is much appreciated.  Click on Alleghany County on the map.
Very interesting reading.

5th.  Two Wolff Family cemetery surveys in Surry County, NC by Nanalee Wrenn.
 Click on Surry County on the map.

6th.  More Grayson County, VA Cemeteries, Click on Grayson on the map -- look
for the "New" tags.  These are the Osborne Fort Cemetery listing by Ginger
Ballard; an expanded version of the Potato Creek Cemetery from notes I had,
and a partial listing of the Coxes Chapel Methodist Church Cemetery, The
Crossroads Primitive Baptist Church at Baywood, the Francis Cornett Family
and the Rufus Cornett Family cemeteries from Susan Taylor Woodson, et.al..

7th.  The 1863 Ashe County, NC Court Orders, transcribed by yours truly.
Click on Ashe County

8th.  A sketch of the 37th North Carolina Infantry, CSA by Octavius Wiggins,
transcribed by Bobby Blevins, Zane Barr and Julius Watson.  Click on Ashe,
Alleghany or Watauga Co. to find it.

9th.  Official Records of the Civil War which mention Wilkes County, NC
compiled by Len Moore.  Click on Wilkes Co. for this one.

10th.  Some more old Wilkes County, NC pictures.  Click on Item 1 on the
Wilkes Page to find them.

11th.  I also added a contributors page to recognize those who have helped me
with information, graphics and Jim Tarvid who lets me have the web space for
the web site.

Enjoy.

Warm regards
Jeff Weaver