VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2004

From:
Bill Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:12:16 -0400
I would qualify Paul's excellent explanation of match/firelocks in only one small respect: the "flash powder" he refers to is actually ordinary black powder, but in a finer grain than that used in the weapon itself. Just a matter of accuracy of details here.

Actually, the best depiction of matchlocks in movies is Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai," where the need to blow on the punk to keep it burning reveals why the change to flints for ignition was such a major improvement in firearm technology. As far as I know, no other movie shows matchlocks in so central and clear a way.

Bill Cross