VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:04:27 -0500
Hi, Don. Wish I could help more, however I have seen but very few maps, other than parish boundaries, that reveal areas of early political subdivisions within counties.

Were I you, I would contact the genealogical society local to the area needed; join for a year (it will be quite inexpensive), make contacts there, ask about the existence of any maps that may have been preserved, and become minimally involved.  Such orgs. are usually helpful, even if only by saying "yes" or "no" to the question, "Are there any maps atall of the area that have not been reproduced and generally circulated?"

If there are such maps or descriptions, locals will know of those, while very few of us outside the area will have such knowledge.  As I teach all students,. "Genealogy, like politics, is LOCAL."

Wish I could help more, but such would be my approach to the problem. In passing, I suggest that it would not be uncommon for voting districts and some taxing divisions were yet to be found in the local county tax assessor and the county engineer's/county surveyor's files and offices.  I have never encountered a surveyor who did not gather or collect old maps of whatever nature, yet those folks quite generally do not reproduce such for sale.

Do tell me what, if anything, you find there.

Have a nice weekend.

Paul          <DrakesBooks.com>