VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2006

From:
Peggy Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:55:16 -0400
Ellen Miyagawa, past President of the Fluvanna Historical Society passed
away at her home, Melrose, in Fluvanna County, Virginia on Thursday, June
22, 2006, after a protracted struggle with ovarian cancer.

I first met Ellen in the early 1990s when I decided to do some research on
my family.  An elderly 2nd cousin who had done some family research sent
me a copy of the Fluvanna Historical Society Bulletin (#36 Oct 1983) in
which Ellen had written an article that pretty much had my father's family
researched back to at least 1777.  And there was all this other stuff
about Shores.  There were so many of the names of people and families that
I used to hear about or know.  It was like Ellen had been there when the
neighbors and/or relatives (most were both) came to visit and sit a spell
on the front porch at my grandparent's house when I spent summers there as
a kid in the mid 50s.

So, I sat down and wrote to Ellen Miyagawa to find out how and why she
knew so much about my family.  Ellen wrote back to me, and thus began a
friendship.

Fluvanna County has lost a wonderful citizen and I've lost a friend.

Peg Janke