VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2010

From:
Bonnie Flythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:06:41 -0400
I am not sure about the term spinster, but have seen other marriage
contracts.  The ones I have seen were much more recent, but the very fact
that Elizabeth was acting on her own indicates that she did not have or need
a guardian.  If she was under age 21, a guardian would have some control
over her property and the guardian's name would appear in the document.  She
seems to be an adult woman who controlled her own property.
Bonnie